Turkey's Move into Syria: Challenging the Kurds, Overthrowing Rojava 15:38 Aug 30 1 comments
Hillary Clinton es responsable, en parte, del asesinato de Berta Cáceres: expertos 14:36 Mar 12 0 comments
El estado y el gobierno turcos lanzan una guerra total contra los kurdos 07:45 Jan 17 0 comments
Israel siempre ha sido xenófobo, sólo solía ser mejor en ocultarlo 18:23 Jan 05 0 comments
Socialismo o barbarie 14:43 Nov 17 0 commentsmore >>
Recent articles by Oreo Daily
This author has not submitted any other articles.Recent Articles about Central Africa Imperialism / War
Troupes Françaises Hors d'Afrique! Dec 21 13
Villagers In The Congo Vent Anger On UN "Blue Helmets"
central africa | imperialism / war | non-anarchist press Friday September 05, 2008 15:39 by Oreo Daily
Who can blame the folks in the Congo who yesterday turned their wrath
So angry villagers in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), attacked a UN convoy of "blue helmets. There were injuries and at least one death has been reported. The attack occurred as the convoy was on its way through Rutshuru, a town near the Congo's borders with Rwanda and Uganda. There an angry "mob" surrounded the convoy of five bulletproof cars, said U.N. spokesman Lt. Col. Jean-Paul Dietrich. He said UN forces fired into the air to disperse the "mob." Others reported the UN forces fired into the crowd.
Inner City Press has asked the Department of Peacekeeping Operations in New York about what munitions were used, without yet receiving an answer. However, the UN categorically denies its troops fired into the crowd.
Even before the attack, angered by a lack of progress towards pacifying the tiny border province, and fuelled by rumours of U.N. collaboration with the rebels, thousands of protesters, many of them refugees, barricaded roads this week near Rutshuru, a lawless area where just last week the Congolese army fought one of its fiercest battles against the fighters of a local warlord.
Now the UN wants the army to pull out and re-create what it calls a "buffer zone" between waring parties.
"We are protesting ... because we cannot accept that Congo's armed forces which moved in to push out the rebels are now going to retreat and take up their previous positions in order to create this buffer zone as (the U.N. peacekeepers) are asking,» said 26-year-old Jean- Claude Ngirabavieyi, one of the demonstrators.
The UN's commitment is meager. While DRC's UN peacekeeping force is the world's largest with 17 000 troops, more than 90% of those stationed in the east, according to Alan Doss, the country's top UN envoy, Doss admits they are still stretched thin. Doss himself calls the UN commitment the equivalent of "one cop for all of Manhattan".
The UN estimates there are about 20 000 militia fighters in the east, belonging to a number of different groups. Among them are members of an extremist ethnic Hutu militia accused of orchestrating the 1994 genocide of 500 000 ethnic Tutsis in Rwanda. The group and others are accused of razing villages, terrorising the local population and perpetrating rapes.
The UN doesn't get it. They righteously condemned the attacks on their peacekeepers.
"MONUC greatly regrets these acts of violence against the international community and its personnel," spokeswoman Sylvie van den Wildenburg said in Kinshasa.
"Such unacceptable acts threaten to discourage those who are only there to assist in restoring the authority of the state ... to the benefit of the population."
So restore it already!
Congo's eastern borderlands risk plunging back into all-out war between the army and the Tutsi rebels after the heaviest clashes in months. Last week's fighting was among the worst since President Joseph Kabila's government signed a ceasefire deal with renegade Tutsi General Laurent Nkunda's rebels and around a dozen other armed militias in January.
The following is from the UN Integrated Regional Information Networks.
Anti-Monuc Protest in Rutshuru Turns ViolentAt least one person was wounded and a UN vehicle damaged during a demonstration against peacekeepers in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo town of Rutshuru on 3 September.
"A MONUC [UN Mission in DRC] vehicle was set on fire and two civilian demonstrators wounded by bullets, one in both his feet, the other in his stomach," Benjamin Mbusa, 36, a student in the North Kivu town, who witnessed the demonstration, told IRIN.
MONUC confirmed that one of its vehicles had been burnt but said only one civilian had been wounded and not necessarily by a bullet. This happened when "Indian blue helmets opened fire to defend themselves as per our mandate because the crowd did not want to obey warning shots fired in the air", said Colonel Jean-Paul Dietrich, MONUC's military spokesman.
He added that the crowd started to disperse once the army began firing heavier weapons into the air.
Dietrich also said stones had been thrown at MONUC vehicles in the previous four days. "Two Indian peacekeepers were wounded and one vehicle damaged."
The unrest came five days after fierce fighting broke out between government forces and renegade troops led by dissident general Laurent Nkunda.
According to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), the clashes prompted 8,000 civilians to flee to villages along the road to Goma.
"Many of the displaced are now staying with families or in public places such as schools. But we have to move them to allow schools to reopen as normal," said Gloria Fernandez, head of OCHA in DRC, adding that food rations were being distributed to the displaced.
"People are protesting against MONUC because they want the army to advance and push the rebels right out of the country, rather than withdrawing to positions held previously," said Mbusa.
MONUC's civilian spokeswoman, Sylvie van Wildenberg, said: "It is clear that the population doesn't seem to understand MONUC's role in the Amani [peace] process" enshrined in a ceasefire deal signed in January.
Under this deal, the various armed groups active in eastern DRC are supposed to disengage, creating buffer zones that MONUC is meant to occupy.
National police and soldiers were guarding MONUC premises in Rutshuru on the morning of 3 September.
Thu 29 Sep, 09:37
Sorry, no stories matched your search, maybe try again with different settings.
South Africa and the DRC: Has Rhodes passed on the baton? Apr 29 0 comments
In the heat of the struggle for statues like that of Rhodes – the arch-symbol of British imperialism – to be pulled down, and in the midst of the horror of the recent xenophobic attacks in South Africa, few people seemed to notice an announcement by Jacob Zuma that South African troops will remain at war in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) for another year. Of course, Zuma made this announcement on behalf of the South African ruling class – comprised today of white capitalists and a black elite mainly centred around the state, Black Economic Empowerment (BEE) and ‘traditional’ royal families. In this there was a real irony that while Rhodes’s likeness was falling from its perch at the University of Cape Town, and immigrants from other parts of Africa and Asia were being attacked because of sentiments stoked up by a rehabilitated relic of apartheid (the Zulu king, Zwelithini), the South African ruling class felt brash enough to say they will be continuing their own imperialist war in the DRC.
Will EU Troops Stop The Central African Cycle Of Violence? Sep 11 0 comments
The deployment of an EU military force to Chad and Central African Republic (CAR) was widely spun as a humanitarian intervention, to protect refugees and humanitarian workers from attacks by Darfur-based militias, but can we really expect them to play a positive role in these countries’ politics?
Sorry, no press releases matched your search, maybe try again with different settings.